View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #78
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
I remember my left hand wanting to cramp some. I had a hard time stretching my fingers across four frets at the top. Probably, just because I was new at it and not conditioned to playing a bass. This was why I was considering a short-scale. I don't have any trouble reaching my arm out and my hands are kind of average size and average length fingers for a guy of average stature (5'9"). I thought that a short scale might make it easier for a part-time player.
I have both a 5-String OLP Stingray full scale passive, and a short scale 4-String Gretsch Jr. Jet, and I love both of them. The Stingray is harder to play (drums are my first instrument), but sounds better on certain styles that either need the lower B string, or slap-pop stuff.

The Gretsch has an incredibly balanced tone for a short scale bass (not tubby), and is super easy to play. Of the three songs I currently have up at my Soundclick page, two of them use the Gretsch, and only the first one is using the longer scale Stingray.

Edit: I should also mention that mine is the older single pickup 2202 model like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APF6YegoSU

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote