View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #42
plush2
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The last couple mixes I've worked on I've tried making both the stereo and 5.1 mix in the same session. (Mute either the 2.0 bus or the 5.1 bus to listen.)

I like not having the back and forth towards the end of the mix. (Pasting new work into the other session as it comes up.) The downside is some extra time spent routing and a few clumsy busing scenarios that seemed to take a little too long to dial up.

I've got to say at the end of the day I think the bigger PITA is working around the minimum 2 channel track count, not the lack of an integrated surround panner.
Delivering mono stems caught me out a while ago when I was delivering some 5.1 mixes. The broadcasters QC kept telling me my mixes were well below spec level. My playback bus said otherwise and my mono track meters said otherwise but because I was tapping the mono mixes off of 2 channel tracks with the audio coming to only 1 channel I wound up with the panning law lowering the level of the actual output files. I changed from 1 > 1 to 1 > 1-2 in my routing and the problem was solved.

Thankfully their QC engineer was a sharp one and a very kind person who raised the level using my reference tone and noticed my mixes were indeed on spec other than being delivered low. It saved me further emberassment. I have returned to checking the actual file levels in a wave editor to be sure. Funny how confident and complacent we can get when software seems to just work.

A mono routing would make that a more transparent situation I think.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote