View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #167
medicine tactic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I like this behaviour, it is like a 'chase'. We expect a sequencer to 'chase' back to the correct CC or PC value no matter where we start playback. Similarly in projects with audio and MIDI I want the MIDI note to sound no matter where I start play, otherwise I may not hear my chord correctly!
Yup, you're exactly right. I almost didn't include the "almost", but I know there are times and workflows where note chasing makes sense.

But if you're programming drums, or your instruments have busy or aggressive or just noticeable attacks, note chasing can do more harm than good WRT fidelity to the linear play-through.

So I guess note chasing should be optional, maybe on a per-track basis.

Quote:
Just one more piece of MIDI trivia I'd like to bring up for the record:
It is known that REAPER sequences Note Offs as Note On with velocity=0.

This is a very common, and totally 'legal' way to operate from the MIDI 1.0 spec. although it apparently restricts the ability of some instruments, there is a very solid reason for doing it in that it allows MIDI 'running status' to be invoked.

Ok, I'm almost done sounding clever now, but 'running status' using Note On velocity=0 allows a MIDI stream consisting of only Note data to be reduced by 30%.

(Now we get the comments about how this is irrelevant to modern MIDI, how fast everyones RAM and CPU are, and how cheap disk space is...)
Interesting! I wish I knew more MIDI arcana, silly as that sounds in this day and age. Or maybe it's not so silly, because MIDI's not going away anytime soon
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote