View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #2452
nofish
Human being with feelings

@juliansader

I'm not an 'official SWS maintainer' but I did some contributions to SWS in the past I may answer some things.

- It's a good idea to start working from the next branch, rather than master branch as you did, since the 'next' branch contains all the latest code changes.
In short (don't know how familiar you are with Git branching), 'master' branch contains the code for official SWS releases, the 'next' branch is where ongoing development happens and is used for pre-releases, so it's usually ahead of the master branch. (Rundown of the branching approach, 'Develop' branch is the equivalent to the SWS 'next' branch.)

edit:
A common approach is also, rather than working on 'next' directly, to start a new local branch from next (= 'feature branch' in above link) when working on something and then pull request that branch when done. This enables working on stuff in parallel for example by simply switching branches.

- Similarly pull requests should be submitted to 'next' branch, rather than 'master' branch. (As mentioned in the README).
edit:
To clarify, you can choose which branch your pull request should be merged into when creating it on GitHub:

- It's suggested to update the whatsnew.txt, if you add new stuff, as mentioned here.

As said, I'm no SWS maintainer, so just take it as 'good practice suggestions' (other contributors may correct me).

As to your PR itself, Tim (SWS) is the current maintainer (afaik) and handles merging of PR's so he'll probably approach you if he wants something changed etc.

Sorry, can't help with Mac and Linux builds.

Last edited by nofish; 07-04-2018 at 06:15 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote