View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 AM   #30
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
It's important not to bunch all of Microsoft's businesses together with Windows, they do run a search engine after all. Apple don't. If Microsft spied on and forcibly sold data from Win 10 Pro users, it would be business suicide.
But that's exactly what they are doing. If you want to shut off the data collection, you need to change some settings. And that's not what I see most users of W10 Pro doing. The corporate world is doing that, mostly. But these still need to tune their firewalls for stuff like Skype.

Besides, nothing is below MS. Excel, fi, has a long standing bug in the concatenate function. It doesn't work for a range of cells. You need to specify each and every cell separately. Been like that for many years. Lo and behold, MS has fixed that bug. Sort of. There's a new function called concat. And that works as it should. But it's only available to paying subscribers...

Quote:
They will be very aware that there's a line they can't cross with their OS, which also drives sales for their Office + OneDrive products.
Is OneDrive making any money these days? I don't follow that market at all. Too many free offers. And DropBox is still the most serious one of them all. Recently, they did a security test on their eco system. Yielded 3 zero day exploits on Mojave/HS/Sierra...

Quote:
Linux is good, I like it, but it's in a permanent state of being *nearly* there re drivers and software. Windows has Linux built in to it now too so it's the best of both worlds.
I agree. But that's where MacOS is going too. And iOS.