View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #85
innuendo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
With that in mind should I see now if I get a crash after opening the offending webpage? Or should I wait while the CSV is being checked.
Chances are chkdsk didn't fix the crash and it's better not to compromise your filesystem right now with an additional crash, so it's better to wait with that.

Quote:
whilst I really don't want to, I guess if it does ultimately result in me needing to re-install the OS it might force my hand in leaving XP behind and getting Win7 on here.
IMHO Win7 is a much better OS at this point of time than WinXP, but it's up to you of course.

Quote:
Just read through your post again before hitting "submit reply" and see that you say it should take a few hours. Did I do something wrong? It took no more than 5 minutes...
The "few hours" estimate was frankly rather speculative since I have no idea how much data you have stored on the OS partition. It can finish in minutes if you only have a few GBs and the filesystem is clean. Sometimes the OS will perform chkdsk automatically after a crash, so this might be the reason.

Quote:
And yes, I have My Documents on a separate drive but that's all data I'm supposing. So I'm pretty sure all the OS stuff is on C:.
In this case I would suggest to do chkdsk on that drive, too. After the additional chkdsk, please post the CSV of Applications. Looks like XP stores the Wininit event in Applications rather than in System events as it goes in Win7.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote