View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #375
DuX
Human being with feelings

Since you mentioned Windows 8, I have to tell you that I've been benchmarking different versions of Windows on my main computer, so I can be sure what to install on it, and Windows XP x64 easily won performance-wise. However, due to some audio companies not supporting Windows XP any more, I decided to install Windows 7 x64 because it won the second place performance-wise in my tests.

I simply made a "hard core" project with as many plugins as my computer can run and tried it with different MS OSes on the same computer. Windows 8 is the worst performer and you lose about 10% of plugin performance with it in comparison to Windows XP x64. Windows 7 x64 is only about 5% worse and it still works smooth enough [this "lite" version]. It's probably unnecessary to say, but I didn't even bother with Windows 10 after these results. Also, I tested Windows 8 "lite" version that I found, so it was nicely cut down, and I stopped all unnecessary services just like in other Windows. For an hour I believed MS has done a good job with Windows 8, before I saw it lose to XP and 7 with my own eyes, by what I think is a pretty big margin. 10% can be a really significant 10% when you're running out of CPU.

Cheers!