View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Been doing some thinking and searching about midi channels, and it appears the larger issue is that there are really two kinds of channels. One related to your interface or sound-making module, and the other relating to channels on a VSTi, or soft-synth.

My current thinking is that once you have set things up, routed everything so that you can play your keyboard, hear your tracks through a VSTi, etc, then it doesn't really matter what the channels in the Event List are.

The midi channels on the VSTi are separate from the channels your keyboard is transmitting on. Like CC messages, they relate only to the inst. on that channel in your VSTi. As long as things are routed correctly, everything plays/records the way it should. If a "midi channel" for the flutes get changed from 2 to 1, why should it matter? (I'm not talking about a change in the way the inst is routed, just the midi channel in Event List). It's not a real channel anyway, more like a virtual channel. After all, a VSTi is a virtual instrument.

Does this make any sense? I'm really interested in people's thoughts on this as I have been confused about this issue forever. along with a boatload of other stuff. sometimes I think this stuff IS rocket science.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote