View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Any decent high ratio (>10) compressor / limiter will do the job fairly well - you're aiming for it not to be doing anything, of course :-) So you might find something cheap and cheerful perfectly acceptable in your monitor path.

(Although you might have to do a bit of dicking about with levels to get it to stay out until you want it.)

Alternatively, search for "SPL Limiter". Such as is used in installation work. They tend to have few knobs (like no knobs, set and forget screw presets) and mahoosive ratios - like 100:1 and fast attacks. The Drawmer SL22 will be out of that price range, but I don't think you really need to spend that much.

P.S. Remember to put the device where you can see it - you really don't want it to be doing anything, so you need to see that it isn't flashing its lights at you.
Thanks for the info and that Drawmer looks to be what I'm looking for though it's not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Dbx makes a rack unit for 300 bucks. It is a stereo comp and limiter. Big bang for the buck.
But you will wind up wanting to use it as a plugins in Reaper, and then you will need 2 of them LOL......
Thanks Jimmy

I'll look into it. Do you know what model?
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote