View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #30
Tsjanith
Human being with feelings

Update: I've rendered the file in 320 kbps and this is what he had to say "It's still there in ep75, although it sounds quite different. Neither better nor worse, just a different tone to it."

I also tried retracing my steps and adding what I added to that episode to a subsequent episode (reafir, EQ) to try and recreate it in order to know what to avoid doing. It didn't show up.

So, bitrate can be ruled out in contrast to the consensus here.

Reafir and EQ weren't the cause either.

Still massively, massively stumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
For music, I've considered 128kbps "barely acceptable". For voice-only content, maybe 96kbps can be fine...but that's not the only setting to consider.

When rendering, check the further option of encoding quality. Set it to "maximum (slow)". See if that helps.

I realized years ago if I set the encoder to that setting (not just with LAME but also Fraunhofer) I could get away with encoding at a somewhat lower bitrate than usual since the artifacts were reduced. Also, the difference in time spent encoding was hardly noticeable once CPUs became more powerful, so there's no significant tradeoff in terms of quality versus speed anymore. Just encode on the "slowest" setting for maximum quality.

I just listened to the podcast sample you posted at Soundcloud. I can barely tell a difference in the content at the two time indexes you mentioned, and I'm listening with Steinberg MR816X (and Adam A7 monitors, or Sennheiser HD280 Pro). Perhaps before it was uploaded to Soundcloud there was a more noticeable difference. (It gets re-encoded when it's uploaded to Soundcloud, I think.)
No I checked with my client and it sounds exactly as it does in all its other forms. I already tried rendering at maximum (slow) and it's a no go.

Thanks for your suggestions though
Tsjanith is offline   Reply With Quote