View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #54
EricTbone
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
I had posted the GIF so I thought it would show enough detail with the folders, etc...
Sorry, you said you didn't want the item on the bus to move, but not why, which was my question.

I'm trying to understand how this applies to the real world.

Quote:
I might have a video clip or other reference track in there that I don't want to move, which could prove *disastrous* if I accidentally move the whole track, knocking my project out of alignment, and yet I still want to move the automation in the track.
That's a "why"! That finally gives me idea of what you're talking about.

However, if you really have an item that must remain inviolable, like a film that you're scoring and not allowed to rearrange, I think it would be much better to not run audio through it, lock it, and choose "locked items are unaffected by ripple" in the options.

"Ripple edit all tracks" rearranges data across all tracks. It moves all audio data and automation. If you insert or delete data, it will carve right through your reference track with no regard for your desire to keep it safe:

To me, cutting an item while rippled editing so that all data across all tracks is moved (unless the data is locked) would be far more consistent with the current insert/delete behavior and would be conceptually simpler. All data to the right of the selected item moves, rather than "all data to the right of the selected item, unless that data is part of an item that extends even one pixel to the left of the selected item, in which case none of that data moves."

Quote:
So it's working great as-is.
Yeah, I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that. IMO, the behavior is so bad in the general case that I thought for sure the OP's report was a bug, and I still can't think of a scenario (yet) that wouldn't be better solved by others means.

Just my opinion. *shrug*
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote