View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #62
Remotetoaster
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
@RemoteToaster

I've also done film work in Reaper, and agree that a sub-project per scene can be a very useful way to go, both in controlling the problems of large multi-track projects with automation as discussed here, and also reducing CPU count etc when you've got a lot of Reverbs etc required.

You do need to plan carefully though - what about musical cues or FX which go across scene boundaries - where are you going to place those? Do you put the music in the Master Project?

How do you manage the situation when a director wants to tweak the transition between two scenes and you've got them as separate projects? Each tweak to the balance of one scene requires a re-render before you can play the director the transition....

Not saying these are showstoppers, but give it some careful thought how you'll manage this kind of situation before you jump in.

Beware of Automation Items also... if cutting/Rippling you will find they also do some unhelpful things for this kind of work (eg you will suddenly find that an AI for a 10dB volume dip has been split in half, the latter half has Rippled, and where they overlap they add up to a 20dB dip). I really hoped I could use AIs to solve a lot of the problems with "standard" envelope rippling, but I have to say it's not a lot easier - just different difficulties!

As for your bypass workflow - hard to say without seeing examples, but it may be that you can just create new tracks for each different combination of FX rather than automating changes/bypassing - Reaper is rather lighter on its feet CPU wise than PT. Or if it's singe large chunks of audio you need to process, use Item FX to add them specifically to those instead of the track.
Thanks Andy,

You're totally right, I really need to plan as much as I can to make each project go smoothly, but also not treat every project as the same. Every project requires a slightly different approach to be done right, as you aptly put when it comes to what may seem like small details (scene transitions and musical cues, re-rendering for every minute change, etc) but are really not small details at all.

Guess I'll just have to see how all these things (automation items, ripple editing, sub-projects, etc) work for me so that I can eventually learn when and when not to use them depending on the project/situation.
Remotetoaster is offline   Reply With Quote