Thread: DAW BUILD 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #86
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
But aren't most samples loaded into ram?

Let's say you have 32 to 64 gigs of ram and let's say 5 to 20 gigs of samples loading from your HDD into that ram, (and your project is on your SSD of course), then there really shouldn't be any performance difference correct?

Of course when you first load the samples when launching your project would take a few seconds longer but once it's all in ram would there really be a performance difference?
I think your right SEA, I'm assuming that loading the samples would be quicker from a SSD but other than that I don't think the performance would be any different.

However, a good sampler now days will use DFD mode (Direct from Disk). These samplers will use buffers for each sample which do go into ram. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I've got these bufferes set up at 30kb in K5 however, for the best performance I think they should be set to 60kb which I think is default. The way I think this works is that Kontakt puts these buffers in ram and then uses them to pinpoint where the samples are and get a start on them.

So my earlier question was, can these buffers be set lower with a SSD drive?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote