View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Snap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
I check out Linux just to see where it's got to every couple years.

Then when I want to do something incredibly advanced like remap a mouse button to back in my browser, and then need to read Linux support forums for a week, getting told helpful things like read the man page (That doesn't exist), or a link to a page regarding my question that's hasn't been valid for years since everything changes constantly, or install a ton of things that depends on other things, only to find the last dependency I need doesn't work anymore, (Perhaps I also need to recompile my whole OS to set some flag, which breaks the GFX shell and now I'm staring at a text interface next time I boot) and now a bunch of other things doesn't work anymore because they relied on the older versions that I just updated and...

I wait another couple years
Yes, this is normally true. I also go back and forth to Linux over and over again. I just tried it again along the last month. As I said above my Workstation MoBo went south. I had a hackintosh and Win duak boot there. Now I won't back for Mac OS. Just left it behind after 20 years or so and going to Linux for daily use for anything but audio. For audio it's still not the best route. Most audio software and audio dedicated distros are one man projects. This is limiting but also has some advantages. If you want to work with audio on Linux don't go the general route and better stick to dedicated audio distros like AV Linux or KXStudio. They're custom built, stable and not intended to be tweaked that much. Love it or pass by. AV Linux is superbly light, fast and stable. If you don't mess it up I will stay rock solid. Performance is outstanding. Now you'll have to like the native Linux audio apps. But that's a different story. Reaper works fine there too.

Though I'm fine with both AV Linux as a portable live USB stick OS to boot anywhere, and installed KXStudio. I still have to keep win for some tasks. Triple boot PC once again.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote