View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #1157
Jeffos
Mortal

I mixed up some quotes here but both of you guys are talking about the same thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
On playing around and testing it, I get this:

[img]http://img405.**************/img405/9122/swsconsole.png[/img]

bug ?
Yes. This indeed sucks for OSC messages with several arguments :/ Will look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
Ok, great stuff! But I can't create conditional cycle actions based on other cycle actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
We can use console command cycle action in other cycle actions

example:

I want to use a Click track (MIDI metronome on a track)

So I did a console cycle action containing CONSOLE S *METRONOME*

Now I want to make a cycle that toggle the visibility and the mute of the track "METRONOME"

Yes, intentional limitation ATM.
.. but Cycle Actions made of other Cycle Actions will be possible soon

Quote:
I get this error:
"Warning: cycle action 'Cycle: Zoom Time Selection' (section 'Main') was not registered
Details: IF (or IF NOT) must be followed by an action that reports a toggle state"
Why are these toggle states not useable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Did I miss something?

No issue here... Guys, don't get fooled by the word "Toggle" in action names!
In Reno's example, the native action "Toggle full channel metering" does not report any toggle state in fact: if you get this error message, and still don't believe it, you can make sure in the column "State" of the action list for ex.
Some "Toggle" actions have good reasons to not report a state but others don't. On top of my mind all those useful/basic per track actions (with IDs<1000 if I'm right) "Toggle arm/mute/solo track n"

Quote:
For instance, the action 'toggle horiz zoom time selection' sometime needs to be pressed twice to zoom because it had been in the zoomed toggle state since the last use (even though i'm now looking at another part of the project and technically I'm not zoomed anymore, though the state remains "on"). So there is no way to return it to the original state where the first action would be to zoom to the time selection and not the opposite. Perhaps the zoom actions should update their states to off whenever the view is zoomed or scrolled?
Yes, again, the "problem" here is the action itself, not cycle actions. The toggle state reported by the action "SWS: Toggle horizontal zoom to sel item(s) or time sel" is a bit fake.
To make it work like you wish it would have to ask REAPER "so what about zoom?" every second or so. We avoid that sort of thing (or if we do: optional), sorry.

Quote:
Sorry if this is not too clear. The is the reason I was requesting an action to reset the state of other toggling cycle actions. Is this still possible?
I'm sorry but as I said in the SWS tracker, I don't understand this FR, the way to handle a mix of inconsistent toggle states is explained here.
Of course, as discussed above, the other toggle states you are using should be reliable! PooFox, if it is not clear, do not hesitate to post the cycle action example, it might be easier.

That being said, I'm re-thinking...
Too complicated + since beta #9 cycle actions return real toggle states. I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore, I wonder if some users were not using fake ping-pong states to deal with things discussed above.
ATM, I'm thinking to add both options: fake (like < v2.3.0 #9) and real (like > v2.3.0 #9), via empty/filled bullets in the left list view of the editor (?)

If anybody has ideas about that OR remarks about the toggle state logic of Cycle Actions (which is the first relevant "sub toggle state" ATM. Reminder: up to you to make it reliable -if you want- with IF/IF NOT/ENDIF statements), feel free to post them, it's time!

Quote:
Also, is it necessary to use the ENDIF statement for every IF, or just when we need multiple IF's in one step?
Yes, you need an ENDIF statement for every IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Could the ability to add local OSC commands to the reaconsole_customcommands.txt be added?
Why would you need that Anton9?
As detailed here, the reaconsole_customcommands.txt thing is somehow deprecated now (just kept for ascendant compatibility)
They are plenty of good reasons to create your console command actions in the Cycle Action editor now
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote