View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #23
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

I don't want to be misunderstood : I'm glad having bought it, because i think it worths 40$ for the audio side (even if i crave for right-click only = select multiple items and a "save as" option in the midi editor, among other things).

But i wouldn't have spent one penny for the midi, as it was, and as it is still.
It is Reaper's crap midi that made me buy Energyxt.
I was still confident (there had several improvements since the early days, mainly with the midi editor), but i really don't understand why spending so many time on a compressor's cpu use or winamp vizualisation plugin is more important than giving the ability to midi users to basically record a beat ?

When i go to the Reaper's bug report forum, i see that the top 3 (both most recent and most views) is sadly devoted to midi bugs, nearly all of them known since a long time and not fixed yet, without really knowing if it's in the works or not.
Curiously, i have never seen so many information about the way midi was taken in to consideration in the "v1,xx is out : wooo !" threads...

And if Justin needs any of my projects about loop recording, i think i could have asked it here (http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2456), a thread started 3 weeks ago, with 311 views and 26 contributions, but not a single one from the dev team (except maybe you , malcolm), which made me think that they didn't really considered this like something important (which was nearly confirmed yesterday when Justin asked something i understood like "what's wrong with midi ?")...

I'm glad to read that something is going, at last, in the midi direction (Vivaldi's bug is over : yeah ! we're moving towards midi.. !), so maybe the next versions will see proper overdub implementation and no more vanishing notes (unheard/unrecorded, stopped), but i am now convinced that Reaper is made by/for non midi users, killer for audio, but a little bit ashamed of its current midi implementation (elese, the "overdub" recording mode wouldn't be hidden in the depths of multiple obscure manipulations, but available easily just as equal as the other recording modes in the menu).
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote