Thread: Best CPU?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #173
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
Thanks for all this info, everybody! I'm planning to build a new PC for the studio, and I'm tempted to try the Ryzen 7 1700 and report back. Otherwise, I'd probably get an i7 6770 solely because it's what ED got, and you seem pretty dang knowledgeable, ED But I have a question for you gurus:

It seems that most of y'all are discussing using a lot of VSTi's and how the CPU handles that. My priority is to be able to record and monitor lots of (32) channels of ADC and DAC at the lowest possible latency, at 48khz, stably of course. I'll be using two Lynx AES16e cards for the in/out I'm considering switching to RME HDSP's eventually, but since I've already got the lynxes, that's what I'm going to use for now.

Do y'all think that this would affect my choice of a CPU?
It looks like we're very much on a similar page.
I'm currently pricing all the components for a new custom studio PC and I'm also looking for the best all round audio recording and mixing performance.

I do use software synths but I also use a lot of analog synth gear and record physical instruments with mics. I currently have 28 input channels running via an RME Fireface UFX and 2 x Behringer AD8200s and monitor and mix in third order Ambisonics through a 3D cube array.

My new build is currently based on an i7 7700K CPU on an Asus Prime Z270a motherboard with 64GB RAM and probably Samsung 500GB M,.2 solid state drives.
I'm going with the i7 7700K mainly due to its fast clock speed without overclocking (4.2/4.5GHz).
The general consensus is that clock speed is more important than more CPU cores for realtime audio performance in REAPER.