View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #364
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Let me know what you find. My understanding is that is is just a beta and was never finished. I only use the TCP also so the mixer doesn't matter to me. I just need a nice TCP that is finished. I'm fine with reapers default theme. The lack of communication is the real disappointment.
The TCP is the least usable part of the beta. Several of the Mixer panels he posted aren't in the beta, either. What's there is beautiful, but it is a beta. I ended up switching back to my custom mod of FoldersImperialWT because I didn't have time to go in and replace the TCP resources in the beta with the stuff from the old theme. I'm still new to theming, and I had a lot of custom colors, graphics, etc. set up around FoldersImperialWT. It's probably a pretty simple thing to bring in the resources from the beta and change the relevant entries in the .ReaperTheme file, but it's a slow process for me because I'm learning everything as I go, and I just have too many things I've got to get done to play with it. Especially since anything I do will only be of use to me because he doesn't want anyone sharing mods.

As for the people that are complaining about this taking a long time and WT not communicating about it, I think it would be good to remember that he's doing this all for free and probably in his spare time. He doesn't even have a Patreon that I know of, which is kind of a shame because I'm sure that if he did, he'd have a lot of people willing to contribute to the development of this theme.

It would take a lot of money, though, to get it developed if the idea was to get him to take time off of work. I don't know about the market today, but when I was doing that kind of design and Photoshop work, I was making between $100 and $300 and hour. A theme like this takes a LOT of time to develop. I know the market for PS skills doesn't pay what it once did, since it practically does everything for you now and kids grow up using it, but I'm sure that a guy with his intelligence, skills, and aesthetic sense is probably used to making quite a bit of money and is in high demand. We should be grateful that he's done what he has. Please remember he's under no obligation to make your UI look how you think it should. The great thing about REAPER is that you're free to do that yourself if you want.

We can all hope that the silence on this issue is an indicator that he's working with Cockos on doing an official facelift of REAPER, since the UI is the only thing that is inferior to other DAWs. (Well, ARA, support for the Melodyne users is probably big, too, but I'm out of that loop. I'm old school. Robert Plant, Ann Wilson, Etta James, Bonnie Raitt, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Sting, Ronnie James Dio, Janis Joplin, and a giant list of legends never needed it, and I think if we ever want to see real talent start coming back, we out to toss Melodyne in the scrap heap. Please, for the sake of music, boycott Melodyne!)