View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Setting my usb audio device as the system default. Had to create ~/.asoundrc and add a couple of lines (the card number can change at boot...something to keep in mind):

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

But since device order can change at boot (usb can be 0 or 1 and onboard can be 0 or 1), I may need a script to find out which card is which at boot. Done manually, it is:

cat /proc/asound/modules

Which can give me either:

0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel

or

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio
IMO it's best to lock this down, which can be done by configuring modprobe. What file to edit and where it's placed might vary, but on my system it's in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf which contains the following:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto,auto index=0,1 id=Intel,NVidia
options snd-hdsp index=2
options snd-usb-audio index=3
Also if you look at the first column in /proc/asound/cards you get a name for each card. You can often refer to them by name instead of index, like hw:Intel instead of hw:0.

Quote:
Saving and loading defaults for alsamixer (because alsamixer doesn't do it automatically):

alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state store
alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state restore

I suppose that should be added to a script, too.
This happens automatically on my system.

Quote:
Manually loading snd-seq is needed for MIDI with Jack, which isn't automatically loaded at boot. To get that working (as root):
You can just add snd-seq to modprobe.conf, but this really ought to be automatic on your distro...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote