View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
hopi
Human being with feelings

here is what you are not exactly understanding...

reaper does not come with any [well almost none] plugins that make sound.
you midi file does not of it self make sound, I think you know that

other DAW's may come some manner of a plugin that does make the sounds for general midi files...
Cubase, Sonar [now called bandcamp and free], etc.

So I guess you have a few options...
If you want to be purely in reaper, you need something to make the noise...
Roland has VSC for 125 bucks...
IK Multimedia has Sample Tank [way better sounds IMO]
Or you can get one of the free sound font players...

Now there are some things to consider..
VSC has "ok" sounds and it will read the instrument channels directly from your midi file... you don't even need to explode them to separate tracks

But... IF you want better sounds then maybe Sample Tank would be the way to go... however, you'd have to set it up to have on each channel the instrument you want... and you'd have way more options... like which piano or which violin, etc. along with easy ability to mix them.

The good news is that in Reaper we can save Track templates.
So you have one that used Sample Tank all set up for 16 instruments as desired for say a jazz band, and then another set up for Orchestral stuff, etc.

Once done, loading a track template is fast and easy in reaper... in fact you could load more than one and put your midi file on different ones to see what you like the best...

If it was me, I'd probably buy Sample Tank 4 and use it for what you want and a ton more...

again... VSC would be easier at first but in the long run not nearly as much bang for the buck.

Or... I guess you could use your cubase or get bandcamp DAW and save out your wav files and load those into reaper...

I used to use both those DAW's but have stayed in reaper for years now..

PS: I see you asked about assigning midi track numbers to a vsti of your choice... what would that be?
maybe your problem is just a matter of knowing how to set up routing in reaper...