View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #80
YSF
Human being with feelings

Well I own....Addictive Drums w Retro and Reel expansions, Superior 2.0 with all EZXs except Classic, EZDrummer, Battery 3 as well as Steven Slate platinum 3.5

Heres my opinion. As a drummer. Using a Roland TD20s kit for triggering. And occasionally a Yamaha kx61 for inputting midi from a keyboard.

My favorite is Addictive drummer for playing. It tracks the best (hihats and all) And has a huge variety of sounds. Great for pop and rock. Really awesome with the Retro expansion.

Superior is nice too. Not as smooth on the variable hihats and limited number of sounds. But it will play the EZXs as well as SDXs so sounds can be expanded. It sounds more raw to me. Some of the presets tame this but its hit and miss.

Steven Slate does nothing for me. The toms are terrible!!!! Beyond terrible. I doubt they are samples of drums. More like samples of a bad 80s drum machine. And only one variation. There are a lot of snares and kicks however. Seems geared towards metal styles. And the hihats track terrible in Kontakt. I occasionally layer a kick or snare from this w another VSTi

Battery is another animal. No sense in trying to play it from Vdrums as each kit has different mappings. It has a ton of sounds and is great for electronic style music. But I only program it from the keys.

For midi grooves its a toss up. EZ drummer or addictive have decent grooves. I like basic grooves to write to and later go back and drum in actual parts. So either of these works.
Cockos Reaper, Roland TD20s, Custom core i7 920 system, Addictive Drums 1.5, Battery 3, EZDrummer w/multiple EZX's, Superior 2.2, Pro53, Dynamo, Waldorf Wave 2.x, Sonic Projects OP-X, Art Vera Golden ASAT, Vember Audio Surge, Imposcar, Peavey Revalver 3 HP, Miroslav Philharmonik, Sonik Synth 2,Steven Slate Drums Platinum 3.5, Sampletank 2.5 SE, AAS Ultra Analog, Line 6 Variax 300, Ibanez Roadgear 500, Tama Rockstar,Vox Tonelab LE, SE Electronics Z5600, Etc....
YSF is offline   Reply With Quote