View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the thing with Sidekick and other similar options is it's kind of (what I will call) a lazy way of doing sidechain compression. You just kinda drop the thing on there, and select a timing of when your compression kicks in (or even just a preset that fits a common sound), vs. a normal compressor with sidechaining in which you trigger it on something else (commonly your kick drum, but not necessarily). So the compression is based on timing, not on some volume, per se. I've used both methods. You could always have a silent channel for your side chain source to do this too, but sometimes you might want to have your sidechains kick in at a higher or lower frequency than what you have playing in your song, just as an effect.

I don't think it's worth buying anything to do this, but sometimes it's nice to just have a quick and dirty way of doing things, even if it isn't THAT much work to set up sidechain compression the normal way.
You are probably right. From here https://equipboard.com/items/nicky-r...plugin#reviews it seems that it does some kind of "side-chain" compression, but without any side-chain. Seems it blindly ("deafly"?) compresses according to the beat. What a strange idea...