View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
memyselfandus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You don't understand. That's support for microtonal scales - but this is still tied to the regular MIDI keyboard. In other words, once you load a tuning file into such a plugin, middle C (MIDI note 60) will always be one specified microtonal pitch (for example). There would be no way for Reaper's MIDI editor to discern between a regular middle C, and a middle C a quarter-tone off, IOW you couldn't send a middle C and middle C quarter-tone off to the plugin by using just MIDI note 60 and some pitch bend/sysex data...

Let schwa first deal with bog-standard notation. Nothing exotic is needed for now.
"Quote: Almost all synths can be retuned polyphonically even if they aren't intended to be retuned. Vst vs. vst3 doesn't really matter. All that's required for a softsynth is that it respond to midi pitch bend messages without delay (i.e. without "scooping"). For "hardsynths", i.e. workstations, it must also be multitimbral, and you must also be able to turn off local control. Other than the Nords, which are mostly bi-timbral, you can retune all but the cheapest keyboards (the kind with built-in speakers and a slot for batteries).

As for the DAW, the main requirement is that it not overwrite the midi channel information like Ableton Live does. So most DAWs work well. Reaper works great.

The usual method is to use multi-channel pitch bends:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=17

There are easier methods, but they only work for certain synths: Kontakt, PianoTeq, the xen-arts synths, high-end Rolands, and perhaps others."

I agree. Let Schwa focus on the standard notation. Especially right now.

At some point down the road.. If we could load our own fonts and so on.. all of this sort of stuff could be done by users as add on's.
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote