View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
BTW I plugged in two help sections already in the test build. The New Game screen and Browse Games screens now have the little 'i' icons. I just copied and pasted from the wiki. I think it works pretty well. Check it out!
Yeah great Brennan! Im excited at the idea that this might make into the next release.

Length: Brennan and Nithya: before I start trimming, what, if any, of the following features of the text do you think should be cut down:

* Material that can be safely assumed to be known or quickly picked up by the average user: eg "To bring up one of the games, either tap on its slot or select with the 5-way." could be replaced with ""To bring up one of the games, select it". I could delete: "Copying may take a little time if the game is a long one." and "The unfiltered list is very long – just scroll down using the scroll bar or the 5-way."

* "Friendly" sort of stuff eg "where everyone can join in the fun"

* Obscure stuff: eg "The Chat Room uses a version of Internet Relay Chat (IRC) that is very stripped-down. However you can use the "/me" emote command. If I am logged in as Trgeoff and I type

/me likes to chat

this will be posted as

*Trgeoff likes to chat"

Anyway, longwinded is not too bad for a start, better to have something there than nothing for the new version. And I know you're champing at the bit to release! Editing can always improve the next version.

Games Browser name: Personal preferences, in order

The Vault
Game Vault
The Archives
Game Archive

To me, the first 3 all suggest something concrete, a physical location, and thus link in with the room metaphor. Whereas the last one seems more abstract.

You decide - and I can quickly edit the text to reflect the changes. It would also be good to change..

* the heading in the popup from "Browse games" to whatever name you decide on, or "Browse the whatever" and

* the "Browse all games" menu option

....to reflect the "Browse all games" screen's new name.

Tweaking: I like the tweaking of the Browse games items. Some tweaking obviously needs to be done with the Game Room slots too, to reduce the overcrowding of the top line with the longer names.

Also, maybe the upper limit on the user name length could be cut down from 32 to 8-10? This would also lead to less crowding.

Other minor points:

* "Game details" screen for spectated games has Quit button that does nothing.

* It would be good to add a help Icon in the Alert Prefs screen and have something like the following text:

"To set email and SMS alerts for new moves, login at http://wifight.com/players and set up your Notification settings"

TX's: im sure some of the 1src crowd will jump at the chance to test wifight even if they have no interest in games per se!

Apt: yes it works well for time-of-day based screen dimming. And I actually wrote that particular section of the User Guide

see: http://apt-palm.wikidot.com/general-basic#toc2

It's very good for idle-based dimming too. Since I still have that issue with switching off my Treo while in wifight, it's been very handy to have the screen automatically reduce its brightness by 25% every minute of idle. I also have Apt set up to return the screen to my "starting" brightness level as soon as there is any sort of input from me.

Last edited by trgeoff; 06-02-2008 at 02:17 AM.