View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by user7776543 View Post
Hi,

A sort of general question here, not just aimed at Reaper specifically. But I've been all over the web and I can't find an answer for this anywhere.

I'd like to know specifically how the Windows 8 touchcreen input functions with older non-touchscreen-designed programs. I'm thinking specifically about Native Instruments apps here -Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and their various soft synths, like FM8, Absynth, and Massive- this is mosty what I use.

To be very specific, I'm considering getting an Asus Transformer T300LA-L (or X). The reason being, it's a multi-touch tablet-like environment, but it runs true Intel CPU, so Native Instrument's software will run on it.

Also, I'm a guitartist, so I'll be USB'ing in, but that's not the main point I'm asking about, it's just an FYI.

I REALLY want to know if I'll be able to adjust knobs and faders in real time, mouse-pointer-less, with the Win 8 multitouch funtionality! Any confirmation of this would be huge info for me, thanks a ton!
I have been using a Windows 8 notebook with touchscreen since about September of last year.

The touch controls basically work just like the touchpad on a laptop, except instead of clicking, you touch the screen directly. Tap to click, double-tap to double-click, press and hold to drag, etc. You can control knobs, faders, etc the same as if you were using a tablet, touchpad, mouse, or whatever. You can pinch-zoom anything that you could, for example, use CTRL+Mousewheel to zoom.

that stuff is all windows, not application-dependent. Apps themselves can offer additional touch-gestures or functionality.

I can't honestly recommend it for much, though. So far the best use I have found for the touchscreen is that the metro interface looks cool when you swipe it back and forth, and pinch-zoom all those live icons in and out. If I had a tablet form-factor, I'm sure I'd use it a lot more, but on a notebook I just haven't come across anything very useful.

Hope that helps.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote