View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #66
DBMusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I keep saying the same thing....I may agree with many of you, but the one definite thing I am seeing is that my system has been more and more stable starting from 7, to 8.1, and now 10. No tweaks and all production. You all can tweak to your tweaker's heart's content, I have no incentive or interest in messing with an OS that works wondrously for me. Make Back-ups by the way, in case I never mentioned that......
I'm glad all the useless bullshit that runs on your PC is wondrously good for you. So go be happy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
It's not about doing more with more but doing the same faster, especially when most of the more is things you don't care about. But there's another side of it: security.

In fact, it can be a bad thing: any service that runs is vulnerable to possible exploits. The more you have, the more chances of it being compromised. Why even have shit run that you don't use?!? You have to understand that it's in Microsoft or OEM's interest to ship you with bloat, not because they want to give you useability or "do more with more".

Services that start up automatically are just retarded to begin with, instead of on demand. If you don't use bluetooth for example, why should it run and be a potential security risk? Common sense.

Like you said this is the 21st century. Why would the operating system still use antiquated rules of loading so much bloat instead of as-needed (and possibly even automatically unloading them when not needed, but we know that isn't going to happen).

Compilers advance as well and produce better code, yet bloat is the example to the contrary. Just because the CPU gets faster doesn't mean you should tolerate more bloat. Software, not just hardware, is in the 21st century as well. Programs should be leaner and faster by themselves, advances in compiler technology.

Why is it that operating systems still are as dumb as ever in regards to tweaks/services, actually they're even worse? Just look at the disaster Adobe Flash is in terms of bloat and security, perfect definition of bloat going out of hand and common sheep tolerating it.
Well said. Agree completely.