View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #107
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Yeah during the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, it was amazing how many people at the time didn't know anything about DOS (including those who'd used Windows 3.1 for a while prior to switching to Windows 95). It's like the CLI approach just instantly died as soon as a passable GUI was available, at least for the average user. Someone would have a problem they couldn't resolve in file manager, and I'd remind them they could just do some commands in DOS...but they didn't know how to use DOS at all. I couldn't blame them. But even in Windows 95, sometimes it was very practical to use DOS to do some tasks. Half the time I helped people with their computers, I'd be using DOS to fix their issues.
Having experience in a command prompt environment was a huge benefit for me helping both novice customers and certified Microsoft network guys who had no idea that you could connect things on the network with Net Use \\Server\Share commands.

I came from AmigaOS which was like Unix meets DOS in a preemptive multitasking GUI based OS. In the mid 80s the DOS app I programmed for would also run on Unix by simply switching the runtime out. The programs didn't even have to be uniquely compiled for either OS, so I got my feet wet with SCO Unix before there was any GUI.

Quote:
So I'm not scared of CLI. I just find it annoying that in 2018 it's necessary to the degree that it is, in a lot of Linux distros. Linux has come a long way to being user-friendly, but there are still some "barriers" for the average user to overcome if they want to be able to manage their system. I have to say though, if the average person weren't so lazy about learning their system (whatever OS), to the point they can't even be bothered to learn where they save their files (from Word or whatever..."all I do is open Word, finish typing and hit save. So it's saved in Word. That's where my files should be!") or how to do a backup...I mean, you're still using a computer, and you still have to do *some* work lol. It's no wonder there are so many phishing scams, if people can't be bothered to understand what a legitimate URL should look like...or what a file extension is so they're not accidentally executing malware (Windows being partially to blame by HIDING extensions by default! Ugh! What a terrible move that was!)
I had numerous customers who got infected by clicking on double extension named files. You example of them using Word and thinking their document got saved in Word, rather than somewhere on the HD is kind of humorous to me because I just got an iPhone, and the file browser on it threw me for a loop. Each app has it's own folder for storage, and there is no navigation of a file system.

Nothing like the Blackberry Z10 I just retired, which was more like using Windows or Linux, where you could see the whole structure, and easily copy stuff not only between folders, but between the phone and any networked computer, since it looked just like any device with shares on the network.

Quote:
I can't remember much about thitting the edges seems to go for a quarter or something. I have a 28he first time I tried Linux (around 2007) but it was probably some Ubuntu distro. At the time Ardour was available but was quite limited in its usefulness. I mean, compared to a tape-based recording setup synced to a MIDI sequencer it was still superior by a long shot. It's more about the carpenter than the hammer, after all. But it was no Cubase or Sonar. Plugins were scant too. Getting audio working was a nightmare unless you had one of few devices ("class-compliant" USB audio devices wasn't really a thing), and JACK complicated things further. I gave up pretty quickly, although I remember how I could basically do everything else in Linux with a few substitutions of software. Then around 2012 I tried again, but was still left disappointed in terms of the DAW situation. I was tempted to try Windows Reaper in WINE but thought "nah...I see this ending badly for me..." I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for Linux to seem viable for me as a "do-everything" OS. But it's clear when you read on a distro's page that it's "user friendly" when it has CLI package manager (and is well known that you'll be using Terminal a lot), that the Linux world on the whole (with some exceptions) doesn't really care too much about what the average person wants in a PC. For devs it's a "chicken and egg" situation for the most part: why develop software for an OS with so few users.
I think the first Linux I tried was Red Hat, and then Mandrake, but I never tried any music software until a month ago when I noticed REAPER for Linux. I switched to Linux for two reasons.

A microcode update to mitigate Spectre and Windows 7 extended support ending in January of 2020. Windows 10 would also get me the microcode update, plus not expire in 2020, but at a higher price than I'm willing to pay, and I don't mean in dollars.

Quote:
So in another way it's amazing how far Linux has come, knowing that so many devs (of the distros and the software) were doing the work for free. It's hard to complain about how long it took Gimp to get to version 2.10 for instance, in retrospect. With some great Linux apps being so mature now, it makes me wonder when the tipping point will happen, when so many more people will migrate to Linux. I can at least see that point on the horizon now.
Not missing Windows at all here! Never thought I'd be this comfortable just staying in Linux all day either, but the only time I even boot the Windows side of this dual boot machine is when I need to check how I had something setup over there so I can set it up the same in Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote