View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Fourteenth day:
The Sherpas are getting restless as we approach the third rar file and the atmosphere is now noticeably thinning.
I have had Major Carruthers encourage the singing of jolly patriotic songs to help buoy up the men's spirits, but unfortunately the majority of non-coms are now breathless to the point of being unable to even hum a tune.

Fifteenth day:
Only Tensing and myself left now. We lost the last of our faithful bearers at the south Col leading to the fourth rar file, so I am now preparing for the inevitable as we struggle to maintain connection with each other.
Tensing is as durable as ever, barely noticing the steadily accumulating snow and the rapid increase in windspeed, but I confess the snowblindness and frostbite are beginning to sap my own spirits.

Just verified our position and we are, in our sadly depleted state, reduced to a paltry 377k/s as compared to our initial cracking pace of 420k.

In the event that we fail to reach the 5th rar, please tell Agnes that I love her and that I have made arrangements with the Colonel to make sure my belongings are forwarded to her and the children forthwith.

Smithers Smythington-Browne, Lt. Col., Ropers Light Horse

P.S. Yes it really IS that slow and flaky still, Johnny. (tee hee)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote