View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #83
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

...There was an article in Recording Magazine recently about re-mixing/re-mastering the Toto recordings. They used all-analog processing (from digitized masters) and he (I don't remember who it was) was sort-of bragging about not using any compression. But, then he mentions something about "pushing" the analog electronics so I think there was some analog clipping/limiting. And of course, there probably was some compression, limiting, and maybe tape saturation, on the original recordings.

Thriller -

With my copy of Thriller (the song) I get an UBU R128 Loudness Range of 5.9 and a crest factor of 14.5 (using dpMeter4). That's an MP3 that I happen to have on my computer right now. It was ripped from a pretty-old CD so it's probably the 1st CD release... I've had it "forever".

...I don't trust crest factor. All it takes is one short-peak that might not even be perceived as "loud" to push-up the crest factor. And if you make an MP3 or cut a vinyl record the wave shape changes and you typically get a higher crest factor (some boosted peaks and some reduced peaks) without affecting the sound of the dynamics. That fools a some people into thinking the vinyl is more dynamic even if it's made from the same master.

In general, you can't define/describe dynamic range with a simple dB measurement. There are short-term microdynamics and long term dynamics so the measurements & "numbers" are just part of the story.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 10-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote