View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #87
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
For most pop music, you can develop a very accurate idea of DR based on simple RMS/DR measurements and even better your own ears. I got so used to it, I can almost quote you what the average DR of something will be just by hearing it - point being you are technically correct but the number very often contains enough info for either good decisions or sanity confirmations.

Now... think of this, if you can't hear DR as I'm describing, why the hell are you (proverbial you) even using a compressor? I'm 100% sure I can compress my own tracking and know whether it's going to measure -12 LUFs or -18 LUFs every single time. I already knew where thriller was going to land before I measured it, because I could hear it.
Same here. I can just hear how crushed the dynamics are and know where it's going to fall. Like the latest albums by KISS (sonic boom and monster) are absolutely crushed to snot whereas you go back to albums like Carnival of Souls and Psycho Circus and you can hear the Marshall guitar amps as if you're in the room with them. They sound absolutely wonderful and then you switch back to their more current albums and they sound like absolute shit.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote