View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #110
Stews
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
Great thread. I haven't used compression for about 10 years now. I do music / sound design / mixing for ads, and despite the extremely insane turnaround times, it doesn't really help me. I should say I usually don't have to work with vocalists, so that does remove a huge argument for compression.

Dynamics processors were invented by broadcast / film people, largely to lift the signal out of the noise floor. We haven't had any noise to speak of for about 40 years...so there's that.

In terms of creative use - for transient / sustain management, a dedicated transient designer will always do better, without the fussy attack/release. Especially a digital one with look ahead.

Spectral-based limiters like Izotope's IRC make any kind of ordinary "compressor" pretty pointless on the master.

Sibilance? Duck the syllable in the Item in question by hand. Look, no de-esser, which means no collateral damage for the rest of the things around 8k

Samples libraries are so processed, with extreme epic-ness already baked into them these days, that it would be insane for me to add anything else.

Now EQ on the other hand, EQ is on everything...
Are you recording instruments or just using synths and samplers?
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote