View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #52
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
So far this thread seemed to be all about improving acoustics for good recordings. I am having this one room studio. That means I also have to mix in there. I was not able to setup my main monitors strictly symmetrical to walls etc. to maintain a good stereo image.

In particular the right speaker is somehow close to wall while the other is not (open room). Isn't it a good idea to place some broadband absorbers right infront that wall to improve stereo imaging (by killing unwanted reflections from there to some degree)? And wont this also make the freq response at listening position more even (standing waves reduced)?
You are mistaken--this thread is not recording-specific, just about general room improvement.

That said, sub-optimal mix position (e.g. stuffed sideways into a corner) is the kind of thing that CAN'T be fixed with generalizations, but requires specifics. Asking how to improve monitoring where one speaker is in a corner and the other is in the middle of the room is like asking for the best way to play a guitar where one string is always out-of-tune. Nobody can help you if you can't achieve a certain baseline, you just have to do the best you can.

You could hire an acoustician to deign a custom solution, but I suspect that is impractical for most people whose recording lives are shoved into a corner.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote