View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
That's almost always the answer with Linux.

Been a Linux user for 25 years and do this stuff professionally, so not afraid of a little elbow grease. Was mainly just curious to know if it's stable once said grease is applied. I switched to Windows on my primary desktop a few years ago for a better DAW experience, and I'm interested in switching back when one can legitimately make a go of it.

Will read that other thread. Thanks for the reference.
Kontakt works fine here. I use it on almost every project I do. There is a trick in mounting the downloaded .iso file with an "unhide" option because it is both Mac and Windows and Linux stops seeing the image correctly as the install proceeds.

EDIT: I looked in my bash history and found the command. Use this structure replacing USER_NAME with whatever the user name is in WINE on your machine.

Code:
sudo mount -t udf ~/.wine/drive_c/users/USER_NAME/Downloads/Kontakt_Factory_Library.iso -o unhide /mnt
All of the other VSTi plugins I used in Windows all work in WINE and bridge with LinVST.

As for PACE and iLok. I didn't even try it, but I only had Lexicon's native MX reverb and SoundToys LittlePlate that used any of that. From what I've read though, LittlePlate can be activated and the software only part of PACE can be made to work. I haven't heard of anyone making an iLok dongle work in Linux though. I personally did not want any trace of PACE hanging out in WINE on my machine so I bought OverTone's RVB500 plate reverb and use it along with U-he's Protoverb and the Dragonfly reverb now which are all native Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote