View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
mplay
Human being with feelings

I went with the xeon e3 1230v2 as the e3 1220v2 didn't have hyperthreading and was just a little bit cheaper. The haswell based xeons are also out, they are called the e3 12xxv3, again the 1230v3 being the best bang for the buck. The 1230 doesn't have an onboard gpu, but is still cheaper if you get a 5450. I use a 1gb fanless one from sapphire. It works fine although I only use one monitor. As the xeons don't allow overclocking you can use a b85 or h87 board instead of a z87 board and save some more (That's for the haswell xeons 12xxv3, for the Ivy xeon 12xxv2 you'll need b75/h77, a different socket). Do make sure the motherboard supports the xeons, although the ones I looked at were all compatible. I'd also get a good cpu cooler, even at stock speed my Ivy bridge runs hot and haswell looks to run even hotter. For ssd the 840 pro is great, the normal 840 not so much. I went with the plextor m5s which used mlc nand and a marvell controller as the 840 pro does, so I'm pretty confidant it will last.

I'm not having any problems using windows 8 64 bit so far. It took me a while to find my way around, but I actually like it a lot.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote