View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #45
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjumpsoffbuildings View Post
As I said the reason I am here is because I am often working on projects and my CPU is getting nowhere near taxed and yet Im getting crackles and pops.

"how much of your CPU for reaper.exe is kernel vs user mode." What is the difference? Im only aware of Real Time and Total CPU. Total CPU matches what I see in windows task manager, and real time is what Reaper performance monitor shows me.
You have to use a tool called Process Explorer to see it. When any application runs it has code that runs up in 'user mode' and when it makes calls that need to go down to hardware it gets passed down low-level to the OS and those CPU cycles are used in 'kernel mode'. Where the majority of CPU cycles are being burned (user or kernel) is helpful because it tell us more about just where the CPU is being eaten - like servicing the soundcard or a wiggy video driver would show up in kernel - conversely some inefficient code in Reaper processing it's own data would show up in user CPU.

For process explorer, just double click reaper.exe in the list and look at cpu on the performance tab and send us a screenshot - green = user mode and red = kernel mode. Like the screenshots I posted above last week.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote