View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
hamish
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post

To make the original midi item editable you have to temporarily disable all FX and VSTi on the track and then "Apply track FX to items as new take (MIDI output)". This operation rewrites the MIDI events to a new take so that the events are internally stored in relation to the modified tempo map. To the user this new take looks like an exact copy of the original. The new take will be completely editable and the "ignore project tempo" is automatically disabled in the new take. This can be used as a workaround in current Reaper version. It can be quite confusing to make these operations if you don't know what is happening under the hood. It should not be required to understand the internal implementation details when doing this kind of tempo/timing edits.

As you can see this is really much more complex process than it should be. And I hope there will bugfixes or new features that will make this process a lot easier.

jnif
Thanks for your excellent reply, you have explained it well. I quoted the part above because I was wondering if the 'apply track FX' to item would 'reclock' the MIDI as you have described. I seem to remember trying this and it not working as expected. I will re-visit some projects, in the meantime, thanks.

hamish
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote