View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
There must be internal drivers and filters that do the work and that is what the Midi over Bluetooth protocol does.
My Bluetooth speaker shows up as an audio device to the system even though it is regular BT. If I want to use it from Reaper, I choose it as my audio device. The end result here should be no different other than it shows up in MIDI Devices. With BT being a tiny bit special I see what you are saying but I don't agree it is the best path.

Quote:
Midi over USB is not Midi.
Just for clarity, we should keep data and transport mechanisms separate, USB, BT, BTLE, ETHERNET are all mechanisms for moving *data* from point A to point B. In this case the data is MIDI and it is the payload regardless of protocol used. Meaning, BTLE or carrier pigeon, both are carrying the actual MIDI data - a BTLE driver should unpack the data and present it as a local MIDI endpoint - that's sort of the entire point of abstraction - IOW, if MIDI is what is being transmitted, the application (in this case Reaper) should only need to deal with MIDI and MIDI "Devices".

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote