View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I expect the fans to be off except for gaming. If not I'll be disappointed.

Yes I did the xorg.conf thing (once I did it myself, then I also tried letting the xserver app do it for me). That's what I'd meant. If I do that, it's a no-go when I reboot. Black screen, cursor blinking at the top. With an older kernel I could see the desktop background. I tried various other settings such as specifying the resolution or setting it to "auto" and nothing seemed to help. I then tried adding a script to my startup process instead of the edited xorg.conf file, and that worked fine most of the time, but sometimes it'd still screw up. I guess it depended on when that script loaded, if it were "out of order" with something else or not. I don't know. And it's worked this way for two completely different computer systems (CPU, mainboard, ram, monitor, and so on). My obvious solution was to change the setting "manually" after booting, which clicking on a script file takes care of. There might be another solution but I'm out of ideas.

If the AMD card shows me perfectly smooth video plus also doesn't need any kludgy stuff to get it to work without screen tearing, great. The fan noise is my largest concern though.

And again, what I mean for "smooth video", you probably wouldn't even know what I'm referring to. It's a very particular thing that's subtle, but I notice it.
I'm kind of expecting you will see good performance without having to do any manual file modifications.

Initially I had issues with the settings not being present after rebooting, and later found out that the xorg.conf I was editing was not the one being executed at boot time, then found I needed to be root to edit the one that is being executed. After that, it started working every boot, but you shouldn't have to do shit like that to get the same video performance you are used to seeing in Windows with 100% the very same hardware.

When I boot Windows which has hotrod nVidia gaming drivers, I don't see any better performance under any conditions, be it scrolling in a web browser, dragging windows around, playing HiDef video, or rendering graphics in the very cool cross platform planetarium software Stellarium. I can't say how games compare coz I only have a handful of EA Racing titles in Windows and don't even want to bring them into Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote