Thread: chordshout
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
JAH
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by norelpref
At times a NINJAM session reminds me of good old "open mic night" where everyone reads their own stuff or plays their own material and there's very little convergence or intentional synergy. Sometimes I like this, actually. You never know what's going to happen.

But as others have mentioned, a bit of structure couldn't hurt to perhaps up the overall musical quality of any given session. Chord sequence, BPM, genre, "mood", "attitude" might be considerations for a session. For this, to avoid the "open season" factor you'd have to create sequestered jam rooms with just a small group with similar aims.

So Death Metallers could get their own room, and funk/blues folks get theirs and so on....

no way! that just takes the whole point out of using ninjam.

It's to have FUN!! not to record a masterpiece!!

what you're suggesting just makes it harder than it should be. sessions shouldn't be pigeon holed into 'genres', it quickly becomes boring to play in one style and doesn't help the musician expand or grow on their creativity. I do agree that there should be a common knowledge as to what sound should be used for each given session. jazz guitar and a scratching turntable will never work unless both musicians try to find some happy medium within a close range of their own personal styles.

if it's slow it's slow. if it's fast it's fast. if it's clean it's clean, if's distorted it's distorted. so on and so on.

the problem is: regardless if it's blues or death metal, people should know what their walking into when opening this program and have some sort of respect for other styles. even if it isn't their traditional way of approaching music. taking a chance and trying to play along just may improve on ones appreciate of music and abilities to jam.

let go of that cozy shell

and

may the improv be with you

Last edited by JAH; 09-11-2006 at 06:29 AM.
JAH is offline   Reply With Quote