Thread: chordshout
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
harmono
Human being with feelings

Default Can you change chords at all in Ninjam?

In a way I kind of like the limitation of not being able to make real structured music, because a) It forces you to be creative in other areas such as rhythm, tone, and other patterns. b) because it restricts the jam to a jam session. I've been to real so called jam sessions that ended up being cover tunes.

But it would be nice to be able to get out of the mono chord mode.

I don't think it's quite possible to call out chords, or have a pre-planned set of chords to play. Typically in a jam, you start out with a blues improvisation, and it's usually in E or A. You can't do this really with ninjam, but you can get creative and play in a blues style that has hints of the other chords.

You can't do this, because the way ninjam works everyone gets to hear what you play. So by design, everyone is listening to something someone already played. Am I not right? It's a mind expanding concept to think about, but let's see if I can explain it.

You have some players logged in. For example guitar, bass, drums, and flute.

Everyone has been playing in one chord for awhile, but the guitar player has a microphone and calls a chord. The start of the next bar is where the chord change should take place.
Let's look at what's happening just when the guitarist calls the next chord (not when they play the chord).

Everyone is in a queue, because nobody can play simultaneously. So Ninjam is ingeniously designed to make it sound like a live jam, but it's not true live.

Here's the queue:
1. Guitarist.
2. Flute
3. Bass.
4. Drums.

Let's start jamming:
I don't fully understand how Ninjam works, but I think it works this way. It makes the most sense to have it work this way, because it's the closest to real time that you can get.

Bar One
Guitar starts playing. The recording for bar one only has guitar.

Bar two:
The guitarist now hears what the flute player played in bar one! But now he's recording new guitar over what the flute player just played while the flute player was listening to Bar One.

Bar three:
Now the guitarist hears the flute playing from bar two, and the bass player from bar one!

Bar four:

Now the guitarist hears the first bar of the drummer, the second bar of the bass player, and the third bar of the flute player!

So obviously if I understand this correctly, if the guitarist decided to make a change in chords, he had better keep in mind, that he is going to be hearing playback from players spanning over several bars that he already participated in.

Now if I'm wrong, please answer my quesiton?
If this is not true live jamming, and there is a delay in bars, how is the guitarist ever going to hear the other players? He's first in the queue. It loops back to him? What is looping back?
So if you think about it, it's pretty difficult to get a real live spontaneous jam out of it. And playing other chords or transposing a key would really blow things up.

I am going to make another post with suggestions for solutions to this quirk in the way Ninjam works.
harmono is offline   Reply With Quote