View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #261
Flint_6
Human being with feelings

Movie Post Production Features
Proper surround support with dynamic up- and downmixing of channels. Proper surround panner with necessary audio post features when sending mono to surround busses. Support for any channel number per track, not only even numbers.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169203

LUFS Loudness Metering

More Rendering Options (especially for Selected Media Items)
Media Items can only be rendered through the track the media items are on. But when rendering a large amount of them and having a special FX chain on a bus or master, it doesn't work. One would need to add the complete FX chain to every track. But this is annoying when having to make changes. You have to replicate them on every track. Furthermore, each media item is rendered into its own separate file. But when I have a long atmo and am cutting out unwanted noises, I end up with a patchwork of media items, crossfaded to make a coherent new atmo. When rendering, I get lots of small parts. An option "render overlapping media items into one file" would be great!
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134883

Even More Rendering Options
Sound effects for games and movies have a lot of layers. Rendering larger amounts of them is only possible using regions and the render matrix. This results in very long projects and regions are hard to manage in large quantities. If one edits a sound, regions need to be readjusted, sometimes the whole timeline has to be moved. It would be nice to be able to render multi-track sound effects like media items. Put all tracks of an effect and its variations into a folder. Name the folder correctly. Instead of just showing a shadow of the waveform in the folder track, show a "ghost media item". This way I can select this media item and "Render Selected Media Items" and I could even add effects to the folder and have them applied to all FX in that folder. Currently this does onlywork via a workaround of putting a media item on the folder track, lowering the clip volume to 0 and extend it to the length of the sound. It would be great if there was a preference to automatically make those "ghost media items". Big time saver.

ARA Support

Central Extension System
I think Reaper being so extensible is great. But as a newbie, I spent a lot of time figuring out what SWS, ReaPack and others were. Why have an extension to connect to other repositories and extensions? I know there is the Stash but I find it a pain to use. All manual. And whenn there's an update, it's manual search and update for each single item. That's why IMHO there is ReaPack. But then there is HeDa. Everyone is implementing their own solution to this need of having a central point to get resources from. It would be nice if this could ALL be consolidated into a central extension manager that is integrated. Just provide it a URL and pack your extensions and scripts into a default format and it works. One would only need to keep track of one's repository URLs. Much like ReaPack is now. Make it the standard. It would be a LOT easier as a central point of contact for all newcomers, too. Currently you need to dive pretty deep to find all the places to download extensions that are considered to be "standard". Which turns off a lot of people (as I teach sound design in Zurich and we use Reaper in our classes I hear a lot of the same questions and complaints).

Overhaul the GUI
I find the looks of Reaper's plugins and lists to be very unpleasant. Yes, you make music with your ears, but so is eating. You're eating with your mouth. But it sure is a lot more pleasant and tasty when the food looks delicious.

Second Pass Rendering
If loops have a reverb tail it's great to let the region play once and only on the second pass do the rendering, so any reverb tail gets folded in to the beginning of the rendered portion.

Last edited by Flint_6; 11-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Flint_6 is offline   Reply With Quote