View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #42
gavriloP
Human being with feelings

Damn, I have only been able to test the first version, it's been too hectic here, but that already put big smile to my face. Of course there were few glitches but it seems later versions are already dealing with those. This will be something special. Can't wait to really dive into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Ken, broken record here. Did you get a chance to do much work or testing around rendering and latency reporting and compensation? I would normally offer to do some testing in this area, but I unfortunately don't have the bandwidth to do that right now. Just wondering if you looked at it.

Thanks dude... and I can't wait to use this once I get a chance to get back into some recording.
I'm not Ken but it occurred to me that because this sim uses cab impulses, they can't be really sample accurate in timing, you know some impulses have longer starts before the peak than others. And even if software tries to match them uniformally, I don't think it is possible to do sample accurate. Also the beginning of the impulse affects the sounds so it shouldn't just be truncated. Now bear in mind that I'm not sure this is the case, I'm only riffing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx
have you considered a saturation /tape type effect at the output as i feel they help smooth the digital brittleness a touch
you no doubt have as i am a guitar numpty - but just something i do to help with that eternal soft-amp problem!
Check out Variety of Sound's (Bootsy) FerricTDS:
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/
It will make any ampsim sound better. I really liked it after shred, some dynamic reduction on, maybe 50% limiter, SC lowcut adjusted to northeast and saturation at zero. It really smooths sound nicely. And like Shred, it is free too! And the latest version is zero-latency so it will work with record monitoring too. And all tape authenticity aside, what this plugin does is that it seems to smoothen little those exact difficult "fizzy" frequencies that always bring out the worst in digital. It is subtle but cool.
gavriloP is offline   Reply With Quote