View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #1
RIRSteve
Human being with feelings

Default Which version for cross-platform & different OS versions....

Hi everybody....

Although it is usually recommended to utilize the latest version of any software, should I install a specific older version of Cockos Reaper for the following reasons:

My main workstation computer is an older Mac with OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

And, I have a newer Mac running Yosemite (this one is basically "next in line" or considered a backup workstation). However, the older Mac [10.6] has a larger hard drive [meaning it holds much of my personal files and older sessions of various projects in the past, etc - and yes I do have several backups] and is it a machine I've used for years and it does everything well. The newer Mac may be more powerful with more RAM but I like limitations because it keeps my productions in check.

Now also, occasionally I like to track some takes/performances outside my studio in open places and/or just while spending time elsewhere for a different environment on one or two of my PC laptops. One is running Windows 8.1 and the other Windows 10 [The PC's are mostly used for business but it's obviously very practical for mobility].

The question is: Which version of Cockos Reaper should I install for a smooth workflow between these computers?

An important consideration is the older Mac's RAM and CPU.

NOTE: No need to mention warn about plugins compatibility (example: making sure they're installed on all computers) since the way I track performances outside of my main workstation is by creating new tracks (example: Voxes) adjacent to a rendered master mix re-imported into a 'save as' session with all previous individual tracks (from the original session) deleted. I then import the newly created tracks into the original session on the older Mac.

Also I realize many would say "If I were you I would switch everything to the newer Mac" but still I would appreciate if someone could provide an informed answer to my question.

Thank you.

Last edited by RIRSteve; 06-12-2018 at 04:31 AM.
RIRSteve is offline   Reply With Quote