View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
Gyroman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I will clarify.

ASIO controls the latency within your audio signal path. MIDI input goes to trigger the audio source you are using and if there is large latency betwen the source receiving the midi instruction to play and actually playing it, you have...audio latency.

To cut across all the bandaid remedies we have been offering, what you really need is a proper pro audio interface and a decent vsti plugin to get the sounds you need. The inbuilt sound card nd its accompanying soft synthesizer is always going to be a compromise and difficult to get working well.
There are a bunch of FREE VSTi sources out there and the interface need not cost you a huge amount.
But the reason you need the interface is BECAUSE it will offer you direct monitoring at the very least and assuming its ASIO drivers are well designed, near-zero latency if you want to hear what you are playing and recording from within Reaper or any other DAW.

Hopefully this will make sense' but don't be afraid to keep asking questions if you still don't understand.
Thanks Ivansc. Having looked again, I see that the outputs from the ASIO4ALL drivers are 'not connected' so I have been working under a misundertanding. The only way I can get a sound output (with unacceptable latency) is using the WaveOut in the Audio Device option.
Gyroman is offline   Reply With Quote