View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #80
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Sorry this is a lot! Just the ideas I've had in the last couple weeks...

Can you possibly use background color for the text outline? Or an actually transparent text border? And I think when it was suggested to derive the outline color from the track color, the guy mean the text outline, but now all the mute/solo buttons are different colors, which looks really weird.

Gradient looks a bit dated and I think the extending corners animation is enough.

When selecting a connection, would be cool to have that same animated selection moving inward for the receiving track(s), to reinforce the idea of signal flow. Even when hovering. So the sending/selected track animation animates outward and the receiving tracks would animate inward, if that makes sense.

Ctrl F7 would get me to my goal if it sorted all unsorted tracks into columns, only one space apart, (and attempt to maintain the position of existing VCA tracks if doing so would not cause overlapping). When ctrl+F7 is activated try to place new tracks in the appropriate column. Also a horizontal ordered mode. So instead of organize actions, it's modes that try to keep new tracks organized in the same way, if that's possible. Basically I'd like to keep using these actions to help organize without it undoing everything I did manually.

Maybe too complicated, but as a rule to not allow overlapping tracks; move tracks out of the way to the closest possible location when moving tracks around.

Another organization mode that clusters tracks of the same color around the VCA tracks in the tightest grid possible (I think you said you were already rying something like this, grouping tracks of similar color)

Make crtl+U undo track selection changes and/or add buttons for undo/redo?

Make arrow keys nudge track selection (ctrl for grid based nudge)

Ctrl+A for selecting all tracks

Darker pan indicators against filled waveforms or just a centered, filled waveform (even very quiet tracks will then show a line thru middle). It seems like it would be nicer to have the waveforms flowing vertically in the track, with a full centered waveforms, balanced for left and right. I know that's not what waveforms represent, but it could be a pretty clear visual indicator for it to appear more on the left or right depending on the stereo content. And if the filled waveform was the same color as background, it would blend with the text outline and still look nice.

Hide not working for multiple-track selection.

After looking at these routing animations for a while, they've started to become distracting. In selected track only mode, can routing animation be visible only when hovering mouse? So just lines for the selected track until mouse hover. And if it's possible to have it only 1 or 2 pixels wide, I think that would look a bit better and help when many lines are close together.

Maybe consolidate some keyboard shortcuts into a set and forget options menu? There are only a few options I need to change much and now we have quite a lot of shortcuts to remember. I'll do a list if interested.

To simulate "nodes" for connecting tracks would it be possible to simply draw a circle/square on the edge of the track where the routing cable intersects the outline?

Need shortcut button to change pre/post fader or open io in control window to fully do routing.

Hide, toggled looks the same as the buttons below. Maybe orange or white?

Grey track borders instead of black, for less cartoonish contrast.

Big pan indicator that doesn't scale when zooming.

Allow drag right/left on mute/solo button for toggling many tracks at once like in tcp and mcp.

These buttons are pretty small when zoomed. Could we have the button as a larger square, fully in the corner instead?

Last one: An option in the config to type in a different font for the track names, perhaps?

Thanks again! And don't feel obligated or anything. These are just the best ideas I had for improvements and I think I'm pretty much out...

EDIT: I'm just seeing this config file now, so obviously some of these suggestions are already moot.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote