View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default USB Audio Interfaces with S/PDIF IN?

Hi folks been out of the DAW/studio game for awhile and am currently looking into getting back into it but this time around with a minimalist setup approach using a laptop on Windows 10 Pro and keeping as much as possible inside the box.

Outside the box I want to keep things as compact, minimalist and portable as possible while still getting pro audio quality sound.

I wish there was a compact USB interface which fit my audio i/o needs and was also able to function as a control surface but in my search for such a device it does not seem to exist. Therefore, what I've decided to do is go with a compact control surface and a separate USB audio interface.

For the control surface after looking at the Presonus Faderport and the Behringer X-Touch ONE, I've decided to go with the Behringer X-Touch One.

For the audio interface here are the minimal functions I need.
2- Mic/Line Pre-amp inputs with 48V phantom power.
1- S/PDIF digital input
2- Audio Monitor Outputs (Prefer balanced outs)

I currently own a USBPre v1 audio interface which had served me well and would have worked well if not for the fact it was discontinued and driver support for newer Windows OSes killed it. I'ld like to avoid that situation again and go with a more reliable and supported brand.

I came across the NI Komplete Audio 6 USB interface which seems perfect for my needs. However, after doing some research I found it does not seem to be a very well supported device where it has been hit and miss in the reliability department and if you just happen to fall into the miss category, there is no support from NI. I haven't completely eliminated this as an option yet.

When I start looking at other audio interface options, it seems I need to step up in price and size levels to find one which includes a S/PDIF input. For example I'm currently considering the Focusrite 18i8 or Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820. However both of these have more i/o than I really need/prefer, they're larger in size and I'ld be paying more for things I don't need such as 8 analog inputs. All their more compact offerings don't seem to provide a digital S/PDIF input.

Are there other compact USB audio interfaces which include a S/PDIF digital Input and are known to be reliable which I should be considering? Or should I just roll the dice on the NI Komplete Audio 6 and ignore the bad experiences I've read about? RME? M-Audio? Roland? Steinberg? Others?

As an FYI for the need of the S/PDIF digital in. I own a TC Finalizer and a DBX 376 Tube channel strip which I plan to include in my studio setup. Since both of these devices have S/PDIF digital outs, the quality of the audio interfaces built-in Mic Pre's are not that much of a concern for my studio setup but plan to use the built-in Mic pre's for remote recording setups.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote