Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
fyi, this is what I have installed in lib/firmware/emu:

audio_dock.fw
emu1010b.fw
hana.fw
emu0404.fw
emu1010_notebook.fw
micro_dock.fw
That's the contents of the folder on my distro too, without having added any myself.

I wonder if adding firmware separately from a different (not-Ubuntu-repo-specific) source might have led to the dependency hell. Meanwhile those files might have been there by default, or adding the alsa-firmware package from the repo might've done the same job.

I don't know what "ALSA: error setting input device period count" means (since I haven't seen that before) unless you're trying to choose 0 periods or 1 period, I guess. I use 64 samples blocksize with 3 periods (4x that 64-sample "block"), at 44.1 KHz. That gives me 1.4/2.9 ms (4.3 ms round-trip) latency (reported to Reaper) and then with the ALSA-USB driver overhead it ends up being around 8 ms round-trip total latency (measured). Since your device is using a PCIe card, you could probably get the reported latency to be the actual latency (no ALSA-USB overhead), or much closer to it. Don't bother trying to use 16, 32 samples blocksize or anything less than 3 periods.

If for some reason you can't choose the number of periods or it's "stuck" on too low a number, maybe that's why you're seeing that message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Is it a big learning curve for somebody moving to Manjaro from Ubuntu Studio?
I haven't used Ubuntu Studio. I'm against using an audio-specific distro in general, since it's a bit too specialized and not as current as a more mainstream distro. Plus I don't use Jack and a bunch of other software in Ubuntu Studio, so I've had no reason to use that distro.

But generally speaking, Manjaro feels like other distros. The package manager is different (which also means command-line package manager stuff requires different commands), and package names can be different, so that might mess with your head. Otherwise it feels the same to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Is it pretty easy to backup my Home folder, then install over my Ubuntu Studio install? It's a dual boot machine with Win10.
I have no idea. I don't do that. I just back everything up and install a distro "fresh", since backing up stuff is easy for me. I suspect it's not difficult though.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote