View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default The Land We Love ** New Video **

The Land We Love is a tribute to the native Americans and all those who love the land.

https://soundcloud.com/consciousgroo...scious-grooves

Some technical information:

I used a native American hand drum sample from the Internet that was MIDI trigged using ReaSamplomatic 5000. I never mixed this instrument before so I'm not sure if it is 'sitting right'? I was going for a noticeable and persistent 'heart beat' - a shamanic-type of beat.

Some of you may already know from reading other threads in this forum, I encountered difficulties recoding the acoustic guitar - my cheap guitar had the wrong set of strings and the B string was producing some sharp, loud and nasty overtones. Some claim I lack playing skill... LOL These overtones were partially tamed using the TDR Nova plugin from Tokyo Dawn Records, a parallel dynamic equalizer.

In the song you will notice some Mongolian tuvan throat singing, a rainstick, and some American natives chanting. I put these "ear candies" in the break section to create a Pink Floyd type atmosphere. I love this kind of floating feeling...

I couldn't get the song to sound good on all types of speakers. For example, the reverb on the native hand drum sounded great in the headphones, but real bad in the monitors (so I reduced the amount), the vocals are too loud on cheap speakers but too quite on good monitors, etc.

The lyrics were inspired by a Sioux prayer, a Cherokee prayer, and the words of Walter Scott and Black Elk.

The mix is far from perfect, but overall I'm happy with the outcome. I've learned some lessons. Maybe the next song will be better?

Comments are welcome.

Lyrics

The Land We Love - Conscious Grooves

As I walk on the path of living
Imperiled by the raging wind and rain
And I ask O Great Spirit
That I may yet always walk like a man
When I look behind and before me
I can gather all the strength I need for my journey
And whose voice do I hear whose breath keeps on giving
In the distance of the wind I come to you as one of many

And I see standing there the men with souls so dead, who never to the world can justify

This is our land the land we love

But for a God they claim the right to take away the things we share

But we know what we know and we will never _ concede !

Here I stand and the tree is withered
And again I recall the greatest vision of them all
And it may be that you still wonder
If the roots of the sacred tree still grow in this land
As I stood alone I could see more
And I knew that I knew much more than I saw before my journey
And who will nurture it who will keep it growing
So the people may once again find the road and shape of all that's living

And I see standing there the men with souls so dead, who never to the world can justify

This is our land the land we love

But for a God they claim the right to take away the things we share

But we know what we know and we will never _ concede !

Last edited by RDBOIS; 08-29-2018 at 12:32 AM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote