View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #25
Irvin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
To be clear, this issue affects some systems on all OSes from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with Windows Defender and/or Microsoft Security Essentials. A google search reveals that it also affects many decent-sized executable installers (though perhaps MSI installers are not affected).

We did a lot of experimentation during the 5.01 cycle with the installers to see if we could reduce this: improving the signing used (to use sha256 hashes and a newer signing tool), using bzip2 compression instead of LZMA, etc. We haven't been able to eliminate the problem. I will look at what it would take to use an MSI installer instead, however I am hesitant to do this, because the user experience for users who do not have this issue would certainly be degraded, and also I feel this is a bug that Microsoft really needs to address!

Workarounds:

1) If you can, open a command prompt and execute the installer from there. This will work 100% of the time, instantly.

2) Try right clicking on the installer, selecting properties, then choosing "Unblock" near the bottom of the properties page. Hit OK, then run the installer.

3) If you ran the installer and it hangs, download it again while you wait and run the new copy. It will run instantly.

There are others, too.

After experimentation, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the compression.
Thank you for the suggestions! That said, I'd expect Reaper not to require all these workarounds.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote