View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #482
Swi
Human being with feelings

Default better sync options for synchronizing 2 Reaper DAWs

I am a film and TV composer who has used a second "Slave" DAW for picture for many years. This way I can cut cues from reel 2 to reel 5 very quickly and audition ideas all over the film without having to open up the writing DAW session.

I have been using the JS: vVIMTC Generator plug to send MTC from my writing DAW to my Picture DAW over ethernet using rtp midi. And this "sort of" works.

One of my issues is that I wish my picture DAW sync settings could be set to "sync to incoming time code" so it would behave normally when there was no incoming time code. Presently I have to turn sync off every time I try to play something from the picture DAW and then put it back into sync to continue writing with my writing DAW.

Also, as many of us know, MTC is not quite as solid as LTC. But using the SMPTE time code generator item that you have to set the start time in is simply unusable because if I need to sync something at bar 32 to an event in the video I then have to shift this time code item or open source properties and at that point there just is not point. I wish it would just match what is in the "Big Clock" automatically.

If I can see timecode in the "Big Clock" then I should be able to deliver this time code via MTC or LTC without a plugin. This should be an option to have on or off so when I change the time at bar 32 it simply shifts the timecode of the whole session to match. If there is an option for the smpte time code gen item to be automatically updated when I "Set timecode at cursor (frames) please let me know.

This is a crucial issue for working with synchronized systems.

I also wish that when I have my picture DAW in sync with my writing DAW, and I click to a spot with my writing DAW, the picture DAW would go to the same frame. This sort of works sometimes with the JS plug but not perfectly and not always. All the information is there in my writing DAW but it will not transfer to the other connected "Slave" DAW.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote